Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hand-made pasta...mmm




I absolutely love making fresh pasta!  For one, it is by far no comparison to the dried variety out there (not that I don't have my go to brand when I am not up for the flour explosion in my kitchen!)  Also, most importantly, my Italian born and bread in the land of bread husband can't get enough of it.  I love to make my man happy, so I gladly break out the hand crank.

~Handmade pasta~

1 egg to every cup of flour
with a splash of olive oil

***For my pasta I use 00 flour (doppio zero) a very finely ground flour. We find ours at an Italian import store in Dallas.  King Arthur also makes a "mock version" that you can order on line.  I also don't use whole eggs, yolks only (organic of course).  I end up adding 2 for 1 then.  I find this combination makes my pasta so delicate and not to mention truly Italian!

Throw everything in the food processor with the dough blade and run until it makes a dough ball...knead on the counter until its smooth (5 min) then wrap it and rest it.  I usually leave it on the granite and seal it to the counter with plastic wrap.  By the time you make your filling or sauce (about 30 minutes), its time to roll pasta!

Ravioli and Cannelloni are my family's favorites.  This week I made;

~Hatch green chili and pork Ravioli with Browned Butter Crumb~

1 left over 1/2 of pork tenderloin
a couple of slices of Prosciutto
3 Hatch Green Chili's (roasted and skinned)
3 Heaping Tbs. Ricotta Cheese
1/2 C. Parmesan cheese
Fresh Thyme
S & P
Fresh Thyme
Bread Crumbs
Butter
Sage

Throw it all in the food processor, (LOVE my food processor...could not cook with out it, I think I would get carpel tunnel from mixing, chopping and kneading!) You then have a filling! Place inside rolled sheet of pasta, a small bit will do, shape into whatever...drop into sea salty boiling water until al dente (JUST done).  I tossed each serving with 2 Tbs. butter, bread crumbs and sage all browned up. So good!

~Tenderloin Sun dried Tomato Cannelloni~

Other half of pork tenderloin (use up those left overs!
Sun dried tomatoes
Parmesan cheese
Ricotta cheese
fresh herbs

...Food processor! Fill hand rolled sheets of fresh pasta with filling, place seam side down, smother with  simple tomato sauce, oven at 350 until bubbly. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve. MMmmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment